Friday, May 18, 2007

Commencement Speech - Jon Stewart

Sometimes colleges and universities get celebrities to give the commencement speeches -- that way, there's no need for public relations stuff. But sometimes they just give the celebrity an honorary degree so he or she could give the commencement speech as well as bring the media. That's exactly what the College of William & Mary did with Jon Stewart and here's the commencement speech he gave:

Thank you Mr. President, I had forgotten how crushingly dull these ceremonies are. Thank you.

My best to the choir. I have to say, that song never grows old for me. Whenever I hear that song, it reminds me of nothing.

I am honored to be here, I do have a confession to make before we get going that I should explain very quickly. When I am not on television, this is actually how I dress. I apologize, but there’s something very freeing about it. I congratulate the students for being able to walk even a half a mile in this non-breathable fabric in the Williamsburg heat. I am sure the environment that now exists under your robes, are the same conditions that primordial life began on this earth.

I know there were some parents that were concerned about my speech here tonight, and I want to assure you that you will not hear any language that is not common at, say, a dock workers union meeting, or Tourrett’s convention, or profanity seminar. Rest assured.

Read the rest of Jon Stewart's Commencement Address.


Send this eCard !

No comments: